Friday, July 4, 2014

Pleasures of suburban living

A vacation is always something to look forward to and more so when it means a respite from Delhi's tortuous summer where one gets nicely baked. I was travelling to the US  to meet up with both my children and ostensibly to help my son set up his apartment - a 22 year old kid was now a working man of a proud mother. 

When I started packing it seemed we would have a couple of pieces of luggage but somehow our list of things  kept getting bigger and by the end of it we had four huge suitcases stuffed to the T - there were eats for the kids, boondi ladoos for the daughter, samosas and kachoris for my son - all  typical Indian fare which they missed gorging on. I too wanted to carry my essential Indian spices for I knew I would start longing for my ghar ka khana after a few days of restaurant bingeing. Plus some stuff for the son which I thought (mistakenly) he would possibly require. 

Travel light is is a lesson I learnt on very early ... the time when we heaved and panted up our London apartment is something I won't forget in hurry or another time in Copenhagen when we discovered that our  beautiful apartment was on the third floor of a period building - guess that's how these Danes remain so fit. This was one such folly I wouldn't have repeated but for the fact that this time around they were essentials that couldn't be dispensed with. Our plans of taking a train to White Plains, from NYC had to be shelved and it was the yellow cab for us. The fares here are mind boggling and if we start converting to our currency you feel ripped off.

White Plains is a mere half an hour away from NYC and falls in the Westchester County. The journey from JFK passed in a blur- guess too jet lagged but what got encapsulated as we entered White Plains was the greenery around.

What draws me to any of the developed nations is the impeccable way in which things are maintained, the infrastructure is unfailing, all most all utilities will function normally ... this predictability in your everyday life is a huge plus and the overall neatness is a part and parcel of the Western world. White Plains was no different ... spotlessly clean, modern facilities, enviable quality of life and of course the lovely fresh air which you so very much miss in dusty Delhi ... in fact I could not help wondering that it is better than living in the happening NYC !

My son has a corner apartment in North Broadway with huge glass windows which overlook the Main Street, bang in the heart of this suburban city. One could spend hours just gazing outside and watch the world go by ... right across was a park which would be filled on weekends - young mothers would get their kids to play. On the opposite side was another park where a group of old ladies would congregate to catch up.


The lush green park 

There is a sense of community living in this place where the locals interact more with each other. On weekdays, you could see the hurried paces of office goers early in the morning ... and the somewhat more relaxed walk later in the evening when off the hook ... ah! these corporate and sleep deprived souls ... this aspect and the mechanical life that they lead 5 days in a week is somewhat depressing ... seen my hubby and uff now my son ... is there nothing we can do to change this (more about this some other time ... perhaps in another blog)

I love travelling and visiting new places but what mostly happens is that after a week or two I start to feel homesick, at a certain level the impersonal West starts getting to me and I miss the much used to boisterousness and warmth of our people back home.  So however, much I might lament about the heat and dust but my heart beats for my home country. So was with being here, after the initial enthusiasm had worn out I had a sudden rush of nostalgia for Delhi. But I must add, gradually as I lived on and got familiarized with my surroundings it  grew on me and before I knew I had started to enjoy being there. I wonder what one wants - fact is one is greedy and desires to have the best of both the worlds ... such is life!!!

White Plains is a very self-contained city and many multinationals have offices here yet, after New York's concrete jungle, its leafy green surroundings are very calming. While it has all the facilities of a big city it has retained its suburban charm. It’s a very peaceful, uncomplicated living with all the amenities at a stone's throw. From our apartment at North Broadway the shopping area was a mere five minutes’ walk. All the big major chains Whole Foods, Shop Rite, Walmart, Target, and Sears were there. So were innumerable eating joints. Only thing this place needs are few more Indian restaurants. my hubby could not help quipping that I should give it a try ... I laughed it off as good try of a mid-aged husband wanting to get more stag time, no way, tough luck !!.

Having lived in New York too I find the quality of life here in White Plains far more amazing, this place gives a suburban life style with the added bonus of being so close to the city for anyone missing the bright lights. There is an express train to Grand Central which barely takes 30 minutes and if you are not travelling during peak hours you can be sure of a comfortable travel. My stay here has been so enjoyable that I am loathed to leave this place, over a period of time it has grown on me and I will be taking back very fond memories of White Plains.


A local artisanal fair in the nearby park

 One would I guess have to wait for such life style in India - Modi's smart city... Seems a far cry, in our lifetime.



No comments:

Post a Comment